Good afternoon Connect parents;
I hope you all enjoyed this balmy fall weekend, and for those who participated in physically distanced and safe Halloween activities, I trust the only ill effect might be from too much sugar.
There are 4 weeks remaining in term 1 and report cards will be sent home digitally on Monday November 30th. Information on changes you will see in our new report card have been included in previous updates and are again in this edition for your reference. Prior to report cards being distributed, further information will be provided to guide you in understanding and interpreting the new assessment and reporting process.
Turn clocks back one hour
It’s that time of year when the days get shorter and for one brief night we can delude ourselves into thinking we get extra sleep. Clocks…analog and digital alike… needed to be set back an hour at 2am Sunday. Not that we need another hour added on to 2020, but we should never take a gift of time lightly.
Screening tool change
Alberta Health Services has amended the daily screening tool for children. Runny nose and sore throat alone no longer require COVID-19 testing prior to returning to school. Those symptomes do, however, require 24 hour monitoring. If the symptoms disappear within that time frame, your child may return to school. If the symptoms persist, complete the AHS daily screening tool and follow directions accordingly. More information is available at:
The Connect Charter School Daily Screening Tool has been amended to reflect this change.
KeeBo Term 2 and 3 information for parents
Please review the separately attached pdf for information about our KeeBo online learning program and details for registration in term 2 and 3. Please note that the last day to register is Friday, November 6 and the commitment is until the end of the school year. If you have any questions please email [email protected]
Current KeeBo parents, we will be sending out separate information to you early this week regarding ongoing registration or transitioning back to on campus learning.
Bus registration deadline – Nov. 6th
The deadline to register for, or withdraw from, busing transportation is November 6th. Those who are currently registered for busing but opt out for the remainder of the year are still subject to a $100 administrative fee being withheld. Decisions made by Nov. 6th regarding transportation are final for the remainder of the school year. Contact [email protected] if you have any questions regarding your child’s transportation status.
Bussing – Student Expectations
This week we have had conversations with students on each of our routes regarding expectations for riding safely. We would welcome your support by reviewing these expectations with your child.
- Be respectful towards your bus driver and towards other bus riders.
- You must wear your mask at all times – no eating.
- No use of school devices on the bus.
- Please sit in your assigned seat and stay seated in your assigned seat.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided.
- Continue to line-up in an organized fashion when you are dismissed from school
- Please know your dismissal time and be on time for the bus
Parents drop off and pick up zone
We continue to ask parents to respect the drop off and pick up zones as stipulated in our school re-entry plan. We appreciate the large majority of parents who have been doing this since the beginning of the school year. Having a designated parent drop off zone is a requirement in the guidance provided to us by AHS and Alberta Education.
The parent drop off and pick up zone is the east side of 34th Street adjacent to the playground.
Revised Report Card Format
We are excited to announce that Connect Charter will be introducing a new report card in the 2020-2021 school year. Three years ago, staff at Connect began a review of our report card. Staff and parents completed surveys, and students joined focus groups, to provide feedback on our report card. We also engaged with experts from Alberta Assessment Consortium, and looked at a variety of report cards from school divisions across the province, as we engaged in a report card redesign process. Reporting and assessment research was reviewed. Our findings have resulted in a carefully crafted new report card that will provide clear communication regarding your child’s progress. Please direct any inquiries regarding the new report card to Shannon Bennett, Assistant Principal, at [email protected].
What is changing?
- New Achievement Indicators:
- The new report card will use the following achievement indicators to describe student progress.
- One Achievement Indicator per course:
- In the new report card, students will receive one achievement indicator that reflects their achievement relative to the Alberta Program of Studies in each of the following courses: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, Health, and Complementary Courses such as Art and Music.
- Narrative comments separated by course:
- In the new report card, students will have separate comments for each of the following courses: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, Health, and Complementary Courses such as Art and Music.
- A new narrative comment on Citizenship
- Our school’s vision is to prepare our students to be extraordinary citizens. As such, our new report card provides an opportunity for parents to read about their child’s actions in relation to school values such as the Culture of Mutual Respect and the Exemplary Learning Framework.
What is staying the same?
- We continue to honor the goals of our charter. Teaching and learning at Connect continues to focus on deep inquiry, the meaningful implementation of technology, collaboration, outdoor learning.
- Teachers continue to teach through an interdisciplinary approach, often incorporating multiple subjects into tasks and assignments.
- Students continue to engage in meaningful, authentic learning tasks that connect to the greater community outside of the school.
Connect Spirit Wear
We are happy to be offering our popular Connect spiritwear again this year! Unfortunately, due to Covid, we will not be able to offer sizers at this time. If you have any questions about sizing please contact Kodiak Sports directly at (403) 291-4479 or [email protected], and they will be happy to help you. The store will be open until November 15, 2020. With delivery around December 7, 2020.
Have a wonderful week,